Monday 14 March 2011

Matt Smith wants Doctor Who separation with New Gay Character

article-1143446-037D7A2C000005DC-15_468x703

'Doctor Who' star Matt Smith is hoping his new TV role as a gay young man in 'Christopher and His Kind' will separate him from his role in the BBC One sci-fi drama.

Matt Smith hopes his latest TV role will separate him from 'Doctor Who'.

The 28-year-old actor, who has shot to fame playing the Time Lord in the BBC One series says he wants his portrayal of a young gay man in 'Christopher and His Kind' to show his diversity.

He said: "Hopefully people see me as actor who can adapt to different roles and I'm very grateful to 'Doctor Who' for giving me the platform to do it - it's one of the favourable things about having a great role like that.

"But hopefully, watching this, you don't see the Doctor."

The star added that playing Christopher Isherwood - a 1970s pioneer of open sexuality - in the new drama was difficult because he was aware he has to separate the character from the time-travelling Doctor.

When asked if he found the role challenging, he replied: "Challenging the perception that I can only be one thing, yes. I mean, I always want to do varied work that is challenging - this is a great story

"I don't think it has any bearing on whether I'm straight or purple or Bognor Regis or whatever; you can be anything. The point is you pretend and make it all up. I'm just an actor playing a part."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tardis Radio

Loading...

To listen you must install Flash Player. Visit Draftlight Networks for more info.

Launch in external player